Skip Navigation Links

Undergraduate Bulletin
Skip Navigation LinksUndergraduate Bulletin > Academic Regulations & Policies > Grading


Expand all   Collapse all

Academic Renewal

The following policy was approved by the UNCG Faculty Senate on October 2, 2002; amended October 23, 2006:

Formerly enrolled students who have less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA and who have not been enrolled in any institution of higher education during the previous three years may apply for academic renewal; or, as an alternative, students who have less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA may apply for academic renewal after completing 30 hours of UNCG-approved college credit with a 2.50 GPA since their last enrollment at UNCG.

All students readmitted/reactivated under the provisions of this policy must earn at least a 2.0 GPA on their first 15 hours following re-enrollment to qualify for renewal. Thereafter, the student must meet the standard for continuation in the University academic good standing policy. Grades will be forgiven only once during a student’s career and cannot be reversed.

Grade Forgiveness

Upon meeting these requirements, all previously completed courses in which grades below a C were earned will be forgiven. The grades of these courses will be shown on the transcript but will not be used in the calculation of the GPA and the hours will not be counted toward degree requirements. The recomputed GPA will be calculated from the courses in which grades of C or higher were earned. Grades of C- (1.70 grade points) or below will not be counted toward degree requirements nor in the GPA.

Chancellor's List

Students are eligible for the Chancellor’s List who meet the following criteria: achievement of 30 or more semester hours at UNCG; a cumulative grade point average of 3.65 or higher; current enrollment at UNCG in 12 or more hours. In the case of transfer students, at least one semester of enrollment at UNCG is required.

Recognition is accorded the recipients of this honor. The Chancellor's List is published on the University Registrar's Web site at after all grades for the fall and spring semesters have been processed.

Deans' List

Undergraduate students carrying 6 or more semester hours of course work graded on an A, B, C, D, or F basis are eligible for the Deans' List in the fall and spring semesters.

Students who earn a grade point average of 3.50 or better and who have no grade below B- for the semester will be placed on the Deans' List. The list is compiled at the end of each semester or when a grade change is processed after a semester for all students whose grade point average falls within the range at the time the report is prepared.

Recognition is accorded the recipients of this honor. Fall and Spring semester Deans' Lists are published on the University Registrar’s Web site at after all grades for the semester have been processed.

Final Course Examinations

Final examinations may be required at the discretion of faculty and must be scheduled in course syllabi with information available to students on the first day of class.

Change of Examination Schedule

A student desiring to change the meeting time of a final exam should make the request directly to the class instructor. It is the instructor’s prerogative to grant such requests. In instances where students have three exams within a 24-hour period, they may apply to the University Registrar’s Office, 180 Mossman Building, for permission to change their exam schedules. The usual process is to change the middle examination in a sequence of three. All requests for changes in examinations must be filed with the University Registrar’s Office before Reading Day.

Grade Appeal Policy

If a student wishes to appeal an assigned grade, the student should first discuss the concerns with the instructor. If desired, the student may further appeal to the Department Head, the Dean of the School or College, and the Provost, in that order.

The following amendment to the appeal policy was approved by the UNCG Faculty Senate on November 17, 2007.

Grade Appeals will be considered only in the most exceptional circumstances, and are approved only in cases where the evidence strongly supports the student’s claim. Appeals must be filed no later than the first six months after the grade has posted.

Examples that do merit a grade appeal include:

  • The instructor has miscalculated a final grade;
  • The instructor has violated the grading policies outlined in the syllabus without reasonable cause;
  • The instructor has not provided a reasonable explanation of how the student’s work was evaluated.

Examples that do not merit a grade appeal include:

  • The instructor’s grading policies differ from other instructors in the Department, College/School, or University.
  • The instructor’s attendance policy differs from other instructors in the Department, College/School, or University.
  • The instructor’s Late Work policy differs from other instructors in the Department, College/School, or University.
  • The grade distribution in the class in question is lower than in other sections of the same course.
  • The student’s grade in the course is significantly lower than grades the student earned in similar courses.
  • The grade in question will trigger Probation, Suspension, or loss of Financial Aid.

Please note that simple disagreement about what constitutes fair grading is not grounds for an appeal. Department or School Handbooks and/or the Instructor’s syllabus define standards for grading in that course. When a student elects to remain in a class after reading these materials, the student is understood to have accepted the grading terms for the course. The instructor is not obligated to deviate from grading standards outlined in the Department or School Handbooks and/or the syllabus.

Grade Points/Grade Point Averages (GPA)

UNCG uses a semester hour credit and grade point system for evaluating undergraduates. Semester hour credits represent the number of course hours completed. Grade points are determined by the number of semester hour credits attempted and the grades earned.

The grade point average is determined by dividing the accumulated number of grade points earned by the accumulated number of semester hours undertaken. Hours attempted but not passed must be included in this calculation. However, a second F or WF in the same course is not used in computing the grade point average. Courses graded on the P/NP or S/U basis and courses transferred from another institution (except those courses taken through the Consortium and Inter-institutional Registration) may not be used in determining the UNCG grade point average.

SAS 100 and SAS 200 do not count toward graduation and therefore are not calculated in a student’s GPA.

Beginning with courses taken in Fall 1996, plus/minus grades are incorporated into the GPA for all undergraduates. Effective fall 2006, the A+ is added to the scale, carrying 4.3 quality points. The maximum grade point average for an undergraduate, however, will be capped at 4.0.


Grade Points Awarded
Per Hour of Credit



























Grade Replacement Policy

Except for courses with specific provision in the course description for repeated credit, a UNCG undergraduate student may repeat a UNCG course in an attempt to earn a better grade. Students may request that an original grade in a course be removed from the Grade Point Average (GPA) and replaced by the grade earned in the repeated course. Only 300-level and below courses may be repeated. During their undergraduate careers students may request to replace the grades for a total of three courses, regardless of credit- or semester-hour value. For example, a student may replace a single course three times, or a combination thereof, not to exceed the limits of the policy.

Students must initiate the request by filing a form with the University Registrar's Office to replace a grade. All grade replacements are final. The academic transcript will reflect all attempts and grades. Students cannot combine the Academic Renewal and the Grade Replacement policies. Grades earned as a result of Academic Integrity violations recorded by the Office of Student Affairs may not be replaced by another grade. Grades earned in repeated courses will not be used to replace grades earned as part of a degree once it has been conferred.

In the case of all other repeated courses, attempted hours and grade points from all attempts will be counted fully in the GPA. Semester hours earned for the course will count only once in the total hours for the degree. Departmental policies supersede this policy. Grades can be replaced for courses taken fall 2005 and thereafter.

Grade Reports

Final course grades are made available to students at the end of each semester on UNCGenie, UNCG’s student information system. Students can view and print copies of their grades from UNCGenie.


A grade in a course is based on the quality of the student’s classroom and written work throughout the semester. Most course grades are not solely based on the final examination alone.

If a course or its equivalent is taken more than once for credit and is not repeatable for credit, credit will be applied toward degree requirements only once.

Grading System for Undergraduates


Excellent—indicates achievement of distinction and excellence in several if not all of the following aspects: 1) completeness and accuracy of knowledge; 2) intelligent use of knowledge; 3) independence of work; 4) originality.


Good—indicates general achievement superior to the acceptable standard defined as C. It involves excellence in some aspects of the work, as indicated in the definition of A.


Average—indicates the acceptable standard for graduation from UNCG. It involves such quality and quantity of work as may fairly be expected of a student of normal ability who gives to the course a reasonable amount of time, effort, and attention.

Such acceptable standards should include the following factors: 1) familiarity with the content of the course; 2) familiarity with the methods of study of the course; 3) full participation in the work of the class; 4) ability to write about the subject in intelligible English.


Lowest Passing Grade—indicates work that falls below the acceptable standards defined as C but which is of sufficient quality and quantity to be counted in the hours of graduation if balanced by superior work in other courses.


Failure—indicates failure that may not be made up except by repeating the course.


Incomplete—indicates that the completion of some part of the work for the course has been deferred because of prolonged illness of the student or because of some serious circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Concomitantly with the recording of an Incomplete grade, the instructor files with the head of the school or department concerned the student’s average grade and the specific work that must be accomplished before the Incomplete can be removed. Incomplete grades may be recommended by the University physician, the Counseling and Testing Center, and by the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. Also see section “Removal of Incompletes.”


In Progress—indicates that the course work was planned to continue beyond a single semester.


Passing/Not Passing—used for designated courses only; courses graded P/NP are so indicated in the course description.


Special Exam


Withdrawal—indicates a course from which the student withdrew during the first eight (8) weeks of classes; no academic penalty is attached to a grade of W; see also “Dropping Courses.”


Withdrawal with Failure—indicates a course from which the student withdrew after the first eight (8) weeks of classes; a WF is computed in the student’s GPA; see also “Dropping Courses.”


Withdrawal Not Passing—used in courses designated P/NP.


No Credit—indicates an audited course.

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete grade may be removed by completion of the deferred work. A student should not reregister for the course in order to remove the Incomplete. An Incomplete received during a semester or in summer session must be removed within six months from the last day of examinations in the term in which the course was taken. Current deadlines for removals of Incompletes are published below, each semester in the Registration Guide, and on the University Registrar’s Web site.

An Incomplete not removed within this time limit is automatically converted to an F by the University Registrar. A graduating senior who incurs an Incomplete and who has completed all requirements and enough semester hour credits and grade points to graduate may do so even though the Incomplete grade is outstanding. If the Incomplete is not removed within the required six months, it will be converted to F at the end of that period of time. When an Incomplete is removed, it may be replaced by A, B, C, D, F, or, in certain designated courses, P, NP, S, or U.

Incomplete Removal Deadlines

Incomplete grades must be removed by the deadlines stated below or they will be automatically converted to F on the student’s academic record.

Fall 2010

Incomplete grades earned during fall 2010 must be removed by June 14, 2011.

Spring 2011

Incomplete grades earned during spring 2011 must be removed by November 4, 2011.

Summer 2011

Incomplete grades earned during summer 2011 must be removed by January 31, 2012.

Fall 2011

Incomplete grades earned during fall 2011 must be removed by June 13, 2012.

Spring 2012

Incomplete grades earned during spring 2012 must be removed by November 2, 2012.

Summer 2012

Incomplete grades earned during summer 2012 must be removed by January 31, 2013.

Fall 2012

Incomplete grades earned during fall 2012 must be removed by June 12, 2013.

Retroactive Grade Change

A retroactive grade change is a change in an officially recorded grade. A grade becomes officially recorded when the Registrar so stipulates. Except to correct clerical errors or to resolve an incomplete grade (see "Removal of Incomplete Grade"), a retroactive grade change is an extraordinary action and is granted only in the most compelling circumstances. No change may occur unless the instructor who gave the grade initiates the formal process of a retroactive grade change. The change must also be approved by the instructor’s department head and by the instructor’s dean.

Students who seek a retroactive grade change to a W are referred to the section on "Dropping Courses Retroactively" in the Course Drop policy.

Retroactive grade changes are not made for students who have graduated.

Semester Hour Credits

Credits for all courses are reported in semester hours. A semester hour credit equals one 50-minute class period per week or its equivalent throughout one semester. The number of semester hour credits given for each course is listed as part of the course description.

This page was last updated on June 8, 2011.