Skip Navigation Links

Undergraduate Bulletin
Skip Navigation LinksUndergraduate Bulletin > Academic Regulations & Policies > Grading > Retroactive Grade Change

Retroactive Grade Change

A retroactive grade change is a change in an officially recorded grade. A grade becomes officially recorded when the Registrar so stipulates. Except to correct clerical errors or to resolve an incomplete grade (see "Removal of Incomplete Grade"), a retroactive grade change is an extraordinary action and is granted only in the most compelling circumstances. No change may occur unless the instructor who gave the grade initiates the formal process of a retroactive grade change. The change must also be approved by the instructor’s department head and by the instructor’s dean.

Students who seek a retroactive grade change to a W are referred to the section on "Dropping Courses Retroactively" in the Course Drop policy.

Retroactive grade changes are not made for students who have graduated.

This page was last updated on June 9, 2010.