The purpose of the Leadership Institute is to promote a culture of excellence and inclusion.
The UNCG Leadership Institute is designed to provide staff, faculty, and administrators with a significant, year-long opportunity to increase their leadership skills and accelerate their own leadership performance and readiness at the unit, department, or division level. The program is focused on emerging leaders. It will cover important topics in leadership, but also provide participants with the opportunity to engage in action learning through the development of a project to solve an institutional issue or problem with guidance from a coaching mentor. Participants will present their completed project to the Chancellor and Executive Staff at the close of the Leadership Institute Program. The program begins in January and consists of seven all-day and half-day sessions held throughout the calendar year.
Departments will benefit from the program as the participants will demonstrate the following attributes to their supervisors, co-workers, and colleagues:
- Increased institutional knowledge
- Enhanced confidence and leadership efficacy
- Conceptual understanding of leadership principles
- Increased capacity for leadership and collaboration
- Ability to build a high-performance workplace
Specific Experiences the Program will Offer
In addition to developing knowledge and expertise in key leadership competencies that build organizational capabilities, participants will have:
- Opportunities for interaction with the Chancellor and the Chancellor's Council
- Discussions with external leaders
- Enhanced business acumen and financial literacy
- Practical strategies for improved team performance including group dynamics, meetings, and engagement
- Opportunities to strengthen and model communication skills through action learning
Eligibility and Selection Process
The ideal participant in the UNCG Leadership Institute is a UNCG employee who:
- Supervises others or manages a function with significant scope/impact
- Is an emerging leader and has demonstrated a commitment to attaining greater leadership or performance competency through job-related training, certifications, or similar activities
- Has demonstrated the ability to contribute to the University's strategic goals and the change process
A panel consisting of members of the university community will be convened to assist Human Resources with evaluating the applications.
Participation fee: A non-refundable fee of $400 will be charged to the department if the applicant is selected to participate. This fee will be used solely to cover Leadership Institute expenses including speaker fees, training materials, and other costs.
The UNCG Leadership Institute will accelerate leadership contributions by:
- Enhancing leadership capacity at the departmental or university level
- Providing state-of-the-art knowledge on leadership practices
- Aligning vision, talent, and behaviors for unit or team excellence with institutional goals
Given the scarcity of professional development funding, the UNCG Leadership Institute represents a cost-effective yet unparalleled opportunity to work closely with external and internal leaders in the development of leadership competencies.
Please note: some items require a free Microsoft Office Viewer. Please select the appropriate viewer and download it from the Microsoft website. Each Office file type link is labelled as such.
Please note: some items require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe website.